My guiding career began on the Winnipeg River in Minaki north of LOTW in the mid 1970’s. Since that time, I have traveled and fished with many teachers on many waters from Cave Run (PMTT) to Georgian Bay, to the Kawartha Lakes, to the mighty St. Lawrence in both Ontario and Quebec. Guiding for other species including bass, walleye, pike, lake trout, rainbow trout, brown trout, speckled trout, and gar (former Canadian record holder) has provided a well rounded understanding of fish behavior in general and contributes to targeting the king of freshwater, the muskellunge.
- Musky Hunter TV (Jim Saric 2016)
- Fish’n Canada – (Pete Bowman 2006, 2016)
- The New Flyfisher (Colin McKeown 2002, 2009, 2016)
- Fishful Thinking (Charlie Wray 2017)
- The Fish Finders (Alan Gibbins & Bill Davis 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Fishing Behind the Lines (Don Meisner 2015)
- Fins and Skins (Henry Waszczuk 2010)
- Big City Fishing (Jamie Pistilli 2009)
- The Next Bite (Pete Maina, season 3, 2007)
- The Weekend Fisherman (1996)
- CBC News Television National and Local Ottawa (2014)
You can find my work as an author, contributor, or being featured in a variety of magazines including:
- In Fisherman (2015, 2017),
- Outdoor Canada (2014, 2015, 2016 Big Game Special)
- Just Fishing (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Musky Hunter (2010, 2012, 2014)
- Ontario Out of Doors (2018)
- The Muskies Canada Release Journal (beginning in 1997)
- Muskie (Muskies Inc.)(2014),
- Real Fishing (2009, 2012, 2014)
- Ducks Unlimited (Spring 2015)
- Rutte ‘n’ Rolle (Germany 2012)
- Fins and Skins (2011, 2012)
- Liga Polunoskow (Poland 2013)
- Ottawa Outdoors (2014)
- and many more.
- Outdoor Canada Magazine Online – Gord Pyzer – How Studying Current Will Consistently Catch Monster Muskies
- Jan 2016 – Gord Pyzer – Moving Water Muskies
- June 2016 – Gord Pyzer – Who Let the Dawg Out
- Aug 2016 – Gord Pyzer – Ottawa River Dawg Pound
- September – Jim Saric – Fishing for Monster Muskies in Ontario
- October – Colin McKeown – Ottawa River Muskie
- Renegade Bass Radio on TSN Team1200 – w/ Paul Shibata (2009 to present) past episodes available online
- Outdoor Journal on TSN Fan 590 TSN – w/ Angelo Viola and Pete Bowman (2014) past episodes available online
- RenoViolaOutdoors.com/WRVORadio.com – w/Reno Viola on RenoViolaOutdoors (2015) and Ben McWhinney (2013 and 2014)
- CBC Radio Ottawa – (2015) CBC Morning Show host Hallie Cotnam joined Lawrence Gunther and I on a 24-hour fishathon. Listen here.
- 2016 – Filmed the documentary ‘What Lies Below‘ with Lawrence Gunther in 2011 and it was released in 2016.
I am a very experienced speaker and educator on muskellunge behaviour, tactics, environmental issues, and muskie fisheries management.
Contact me to arrange a presentation for your club or group.
- 2016 – Muskies Canada Chapter Presentations in Kitchener-Waterloo and Kawartha Lakes
- 2014, 2015, 2016 – Pennsylvania Muskie Max – Feature speaker
- 2015 – Canadian Musky Odyssey
- 2012 – Ohio Musky Show
- 2009 – Kentucky State MI Banquet key note speaker
- 2000 to present – Valley Sportsman Show, Ottawa, ON
- 1996 to present – numerous Muskies Canada Chapter events at many different chapters
- 2006 – Various Muskies Inc. chapter events in OH and PA
- DND events, Walleye clubs, Etc…
- ‘If you’ve been yearning to catch the biggest fish of your life – possibly even a new world record – now is the time to take a serious look at the Ottawa River and to book a guided fishing trip with muskie expert John Anderson. John is a legend!’
Editor of Outdoor Canada Magazine, a member of almost every fishing and writing hall of fame in North America, TV and radio personality, and one of the smartest fishermen ever.
- “I met John for a Muskie outing and instantly knew he was our kind of guy. Down to earth, totally into all aspects of fishing, professional and once on the water I could see he knew his stuff! He was up front in telling me we would have to work hard for our fish and he was right. The good thing is he produced. He’s a great guy and a great spokesman for the sport of Muskie fishing”
Host – Fish’n’ Canada
- “John Anderson is without a doubt the most knowledgeable and best Musky Guide in all of Canada. He knows The Ottawa River better than he knows the back of his hand”
The Fish’n Canada Show
- Good guides help customers catch fish. Great guides teach customers tactics and skills they can use on their home water to be more successful. Exceptional guides do both. They also make a day on the water fun, entertaining and informative. Plain and simple, John is one of the few truly exceptional guides. His knowledge of the Ottawa River, musky behavior and patterns, and his ability to catch giant fish in all conditions is second to none. Having fished with John an average of ten times a year for almost a decade, I can guarantee that you will get more than full value for money at the Ottawa River Musky Factory.
Wally Robins, Outdoor Writer
- “Through my travels with The New Fly Fisher television series I have met a lot of seasoned guides. Few were exceptional in both knowledge delivery and service. John is definitely one of the more exceptional guides I have met. A passionate angler and instructor, John is imbued with a unique ability to make learning fun. People really enjoy his charismatic warmth and disposition. Of more importance, John understands Musky and other freshwater species like no guide I have every met. On camera he can articulately and authoritatively speak about structure, water temperatures, forage food, etc….all scientifically related to fishing. Of equal importance he is respected for his high morale code and ethics. He constantly impressed us with the manner in which he handled fish, spoke to the camera about catch & release and how important fishing ethics are for the future of the sport.”
Producer/Host – The New Flyfisher