My guiding career began on the Winnipeg River in Minaki north of LOTW in the mid 1970’s. Since that time, I have traveled and fished with many teachers on many waters from Cave Run (PMTT) to Georgian Bay, the Kawartha Lakes, Kingston/Gananoque St Lawrence River section, Lake St. Francis, Lake St. Clair, and more. Guiding for other species including bass, walleye, pike, lake trout, rainbow trout, brown trout, speckled trout, and gar (former Canadian record holder) has provided a well rounded understanding of fish behavior in general and contributes to targeting the king of freshwater, the muskellunge.
I live and breath muskellunge. Writing, presentations and education, participating in cutting edge research, designing and producing top quality baits (Musky Factory Baits), producing the best in musky video, and traveling to fishing and outdoor shows is what occupies most of the time when you can’t fish for muskies and I can’t net them for you.
Although I started guiding when I was young I found full-time guiding as my calling later in life. I earned a commerce degree from the University of Guelph and managed hospitality and restaurant operations for 15 years. Then a high tech education and five years in that industry (IBM) preceded a year with Ottawa Bluesfest before chasing dreams and making memories. Add a passion for travel that has taken me around the world and I promise to do my best to hunt, to teach, and to entertain you
To see a list of the 18 television programs I have been a guest on as well as some of the magazine, online, radio articles, and appearances, visit the media tab on this page.
Peter has been my friend for going on two decades and is head guide here at the factory. He is an extremely well rounded, well traveled, and diversely experienced guide and educator. Read his list of accomplishments and you will understand why spending a day with Peter as you host is truly a remarkable experience.
- Muskies Canada Hall of Fame member
- Editor of one of the best musky publications available, the Muskies Canada Release Journal
- Lead on the 2019 Odyssey, with the goal of turning it into an annual show
- Member of Muskies Canada BOD and the Science Advisory Committee
- Recipient of the MCI Conservation Award for 2017
- Steering Committee member and Keynote speaker at the 2016 International Muskie Symposium
- Abstract published in the new AFS publication “Muskellunge Management; Fifty Years of Cooperation Among Scientists, and Fisheries Biologists”
- Organizer of the 2014 International Muskie Symposium at Carleton
- Canadian Anglers’ Hall of Fame Conservation Project of the Year award (co-recipiient with RVCA & partners) 2015 for Jock River Embayment Project
- 2016 Project of the Year (co-recipiient with RVCA & partners) for Brewer Park Pond
- Founder of the Muskies Canada Foundation
Fred Bowen guides trophy lake trout, pike, and walleye at the famed Wollaston Lodge in Northern Saskatchewan every spring and comes to guide for the Ottawa River Musky Factory in August and stays into the fall. As a member of the ‘Musky Boys’ Fred has gained internet notoriety as a big fish hunter. Together we have put together some of the best ever Ottawa River musky video over the past five years!