I just received a letter asking me what factors to consider when making the decision to go fishing or not Is the potentially cold, rain, snow, and ice the deciding factor? Instead of writing you a letter Eric, here is what I consider:
I postponed my charters the yesterday and today but will go for the rest of the week. My considerations are as follows:
Temperature – when it is below 0 the water that comes back into your reel freezes and your reel locks up. When there is wind this process is expedited. Frozen reels break. Sub zero temperatures also mean the water on your rod eyelets will freeze even if you troll. Another MAJOR consideration with temperature is the boat launch. More cars and trucks end up in the river now than at any other time. Boats leaving the water leave a trail of water that quickly freezes on the launch making it instantly treacherous. Take salt and sand. Finally, make sure you drop your motor down to the completely upright position to ensure you drain ALL the water out of it before it freezes. Pull your boat plug right away also.
When checking the temps for a day use the hourly forecasts and ensure that the temp will be above zero during your fishing time. It doesn’t have to be when you get there but you better be sure it is climbing above zero soon after.
Your reward for going out now – the heaviest musky of the year. If you saw my post last week with Mike Northcote I rest my case. THIS is record musky time. Go get it.
John M. Anderson
We produce BIG fish!!
be good, do good, live well
.¸¸. >)))))))º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. >((((((((((((º> . ¸ . ¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸¸. >(((((((º>
¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ >(((((((((((((((º> .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ >)))))))º>